Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Re-Refining Succotash

“Succotash” 31”x 38”
polished cement & dry pigment on panel
(click t0 enlarge)

Have you ever had one of those pieces that just wasn't quite there? You have great expectations as it sets there in the corner waiting for you to give it that last little tweak. You like it but you don't love it. Do you leave well enough alone or risk ruining it with a bungled final touch? Sometimes you just have to be brave and take a blind leap. This piece was featured in progress in a previous entry (click here to see). What do you think, is it better or not?

5 comments:

  1. With the addition of the background colour you have created a strong foreground with distinct edges. I am still drawn to the top right corner, then over to the left side, and then down to the green at the bottom. In my opinion "better".

    Yes, I often put my work to the side or on my living room mantle to let it wait for the last tweak.There was one I left for months not knowing what I didn't like about it. When I figured it out I finished the painting in minutes! I have also bungled the final touch and had to gesso over a painting and start again.

    How do you "erase" a dark colour from you work on cement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly better(Looks quite complete)!Amazing to see that you have chosen a lighter shade of gray, I would have been tempted to use a much darker one...and that would not have looked so nice!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carole, what great insight!

    It is interesting that you should ask about the addition of color working in cement. If I haven't waxed and polished the surface yet, I can still apply layers of thinned cement mixed with pigment. Cement won't bond once it has been waxed. Luckily I discovered a Speedball brayer. I have been using it to apply pigmented cement to glass. I found that it work equally well applying oil paint which will adhere to a previously waxed surface. This roller will apply oil in very thin layers that allows the cement surface to show through. This gives me the ability to make changes more seamlessly after the piece comes out of the forms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debu! I had considered a darker grey but felt it would have competed with the value of the foreground areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one . . but I'm partial to grey. I sure know what you mean about "waiting or taking a blind leap"!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.