Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Blaylok

“Blaylok” 31”x 38”
polished cement & dry pigment on panel
(click to enlarge"

Lately I have been working in a whirl wind, trying out new ideas and techniques as they pop into my head. Sometimes I start with a concept or intent but when I begin making marks, it often goes right out the window. I decided to take time to process what I have done lately, let it sink in and filter out what I have learned that was applicable to future work.

In this piece I have tried to distill my intent, sharpen my focus and simplify my execution. I studied my past work and asked myself, "What do I like, what feels like me?" Determining that, I discard everything else! It is a gradual process, I admit but I feel that I am pointed in the right direction.

7 comments:

  1. Hi William
    Just checking in with your work,i can see when your allow yourself to be free and not forcing the work,but feeling it,
    we all try new concepts now and again,which is great to explore.
    But i love it when you keep it simple
    Keep on pushing William.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi William,
    I really like your new work.
    i think the right direction.
    my favorite colors and not so cluttered
    small and nice details, perfect
    best, Ralf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work William. I must admit this is simple yet effective. Economical in usage of colour yet so free. Well done mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the simplicity . . and the circle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings William,

    It will take several more concrete canvases before knowing if you are on the right path and if your idea has merit, so he best thing to do is to stick to your concept and keep at it.

    Ideas are experiments to put us on our path and once we have discovered the way, it is time for the next level of interpretation.

    Hope your weekend was a good one,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks David, I appreciate your encouragement.
    Carole, thanks for stopping by and agreeing with David.
    Ralph, it is good to hear from you as always.
    Manuel, Thank you for your previous message, I believe it had some impact on this piece.
    Egmont, I understand what you are saying. I have had a number of what I viewed as breakthroughs in the past that didn't pan out. I am encouraged but am proceeding with open positive intent. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.