Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kachina Revisited

“Kachina” 32.25”x 21.5”
polished cement & dry pigment on panel
(click to enlarge)

With the advent of my experimentation with adding oil paint to cured cement, I could not resist revisiting a prior work. This technique affords me additional control of the final look. I must be careful not to over-do.

8 comments:

  1. You are a master colorist William. Cadmium yellow, cerulean, ultramarine and purple gray…fantastic spectrum. Please don't rework on this piece.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debu! Don't worry, this is the finished piece after re-working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Debu! Beautiful colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. William, I like your style and your art. The problem with abstract or non objective art is when to stop. I would say in my opinion that I prefer your early works when colours were minimal and the work in them was minimal too. I see the latest as sometimes slightly over worked. When I see all the work I can see that you are trying to find something or reach somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manuel, I agree, I think the process of pushing the limits inherently leads to overworking. It is like stretching, you have to take it a bit too far in order to increase your normal range of motion. I see each new piece as a rung in the ladder not the destination. I try and learn from my mistakes and improve as an artist. I think my ultimate goal is to simplify. Thank you very much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy riding off into each part of shapes, colors, textures and their composition. And your dynamic brush strokes often create rapidness.
    While reading others comments on your different approach and trial, I got curious about your future works as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Miki, I enjoyed your comment. Hope I don't dissapoint.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.