Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

No Strings Attached

After I posted this piece I decided to try and unify the surface by lightening the background and darkening the relief areas. It is subtle but I think I like it better. I would be interested in other artists opinions. What do you think?

“No Strings Attached” 38”x 31” polished cement & dry pigment on panel
(click to enlarge)

I have decided to stick with very little color in this piece because I am concentrating on creating a relief surface. Texture was a very strong element in my early cement pieces. Surface has always been important to me, so I have made an active decision to again emphasize texture but combine it with the polished surfaces of my more recent work. I think in my next image I might introduce more color and see where that takes me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty excited about this work I love the physicality of it. On a side note. Concrete is one of my favorite materials. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, physicality, what a perfect word! I think that that is one of the things I am reaching for. I hope it is OK if I use that word in the future. Your comments and your beautiful art are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.