Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Art is Composed of Energy


     I work in cement. It is perceived to be a very dense medium, as solid and unmoving as stone. But in fact, recent studies in Quantum Physics have brought forth the theory that solid matter is an illusion and everything in the universe is actually composed of empty space and energy.  The atom is the basic building block of matter. When you break down an atom you discover mostly empty space with energy revolving around a nucleus. if you break down a nucleus you find even more more space and energy revolving around sub atomic particles. The point is, science has been unable to find anything that cannot be broken down into more energy and space.  What effects our perception of objects is the rate of vibration or frequency of the energy that comprises it. A rock vibrates very slowly with it's matrix of atoms close together, and is perceived as dense. Water vibrates very fast with its atoms far apart. Our thoughts are composed totally of energy so it is not such a stretch to say that thoughts are as real as something that can be perceived by the five senses.  If thought is made of the same stuff as everything else in the universe and its perception depends upon its rate of vibration, that vibration can be changed or modified by the interaction or contact with other energy and vice versa. This opens up a whole world of possibilities relating to the power of thought!  I am not really sure where I am going with this, but I know that your thoughts influence your mood or how you are feeling at any given time, and I know that music can dramatically influence your mood.  I think that the literal vibration of sound  in music can dramatically alter the frequency of thought.  The same is true, on a much more subtle level, of the visual arts.  While creating art I am in the zone.  My mental activity reaches an alpha state of vibration.  I feel it is possible to influence the vibration of the atoms that make up the art I am creating.  To restate, art is composed of energy and the vibration of that energy can be influenced by the mental state or thoughts of the artist as it is being created. If this is true, then it is possible that looking at art can influence the thoughts and even the mood of the observer in a  more basic fashion than just by color, subject matter or symbolism.  Imagine if you had to listen to the same music  playing all the time, its powerful vibration would soon become grating and annoying. But the subtle vibrational frequency of a painting or sculpture can be lived with and effect your thoughts or mood on a day to day basis.


Your thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. fascinating William - I'm still wrapping my head around this idea and working to make it land in a way that I can hold onto - thanks for this challenging thought - it makes total sense to me when I can hold on to the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's a thought (or several at the same time). If only I could train all those vibrating particles to land in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeane, I think that I got so deep that I just might drown.

    Jo, the beauty of this whole theory, if you buy into it, is if your mental state is attuned and you go with the flow, the particles will land in the right place. You just have to trust enough to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes sense and reminds me that when the viewer or listener sees or hears something they view/hear it through their eyes/ears, not mine. The vision or sound changes according to their mood, interest, open-ness, and comfort. All very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Bill, we can hear and feel a painting. Or see, taste and smell music. Why not? I like your theorizing. It does put an interesting twist on creating art. Makes my head hurt a bit, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis true, tis true, sometimes my music taste blue. Thanks Marianne.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.