Welcome


I am an artist, not a writer. My Intent is not to educate, enlighten or inspire but rather to clarify my motivations to myself. I find that when I write down the thoughts and reasons that I take certain paths, it helps me to avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Let's face it, authentic work evolves through a series of mistakes, lessons learned and options eliminated.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tulum

Most of my work is begun with nothing but a vague idea or image in mind. This piece was a little different. It was in response to a trip I made to the Yucatan. There I visited the ruins at Tulum. I was struck by the ancient ornamentation and eroded textures still visible on those stone structures. Every once in awhile I could discern remnants of colors on what were once vibrantly painted surfaces. This piece is an attempt to capture a feeling rather than a representative depiction of the ruins.

I haven't yet determined how to refer to my work. They are not really paintings and they are not sculptures, but more of a hybrid or blend between the two. In most cases the colored surfaces are a result of mixing dry pigment with the cement before it is applied to the support. Cement, by its nature, is dimensional and lends a bas-relief element to my compositions. My concern with surface leads me to contrast rough textured elements against highly polished smooth areas. These attributes are usually associated with sculpture. So you tell me. What do I call this stuff?

Tulum '09 29"x 36" polished cement & dry pigment on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your input.